Every day I work as a publisher I find new and wonderful things to be amazed with. I’d like to share with you, a few snippets from a letter I received today from an author who wished to submit to us. For anyone wondering, our submission guidelines are clearly posted at http://echelonpress.wordpress.com/submit/ .
Said author made a few requests.
“In light of your company’s size and lack of public demand, I feel it is in my best interest to request that upon acquisition of my work, I be allowed the following:
1) A minimum $2500 advance against the royalties. I will need this money to implement my promotional efforts.
2) A minimum marketing budget provided by your company for $5000 per year.
3) A domain and blog hosted and maintained by your company.
4) A representative who will coordinate my personal appearances. I will make myself available for one event per quarter.
5) Confirmation that your company will acquire the related projects following the initial book. The series is currently projected as 5 books.
I thank you for your consideration in this matter and look forward to working with you.”
So, let me get this straight. You, an unpublished author, wish to single-handedly run my business into the ground with your unsolicited greed and lack of professional knowledge on how the publishing industry actually works?
Okay, I’ll consider it…snort!